Huff n Puff Forums Forum Index Huff n Puff Forums
Support for people with interstitial lung disease
View next topic
View previous topic
anzavic

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Can anyone tell me what "Air Space Disease" is? I've looked high and low for the definition of this term but can't seem to find it.
Thanks
Vicki
strayze

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Anzavic,

Where did you see the term air space disease? Is this in one of your reports? is it a CT or X-Ray? Or did you pulmonologist mention this?

I've spent a few minutes searching the web and attempting to infer from the context what is meant by air space disease. It is most commonly used by radiologists. It's a blanket term meaning that the aveolar air spaces are obliterated, or filled. Interstitial diseases fit into this catogory. It is not a diagnosis but rather it seems a descriptive term.

Severe symptoms 12/99
Dyspnea since '73
ILD by CXRs since '85
anzavic

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

strayze wrote:
Anzavic,

Where did you see the term air space disease? Is this in one of your reports? is it a CT or X-Ray? Or did you pulmonologist mention this?

I've spent a few minutes searching the web and attempting to infer from the context what is meant by air space disease. It is most commonly used by radiologists. It's a blanket term meaning that the aveolar air spaces are obliterated, or filled. Interstitial diseases fit into this catogory. It is not a diagnosis but rather it seems a descriptive term.

Hi Strayze

Thank you for the reply. Actually it's not my diagnosis but it does belong to a friend who also has the JO-1 antibody and Polymyositis along with a couple of other antibodies that can lead into lung disease. Her doctors have not informed her of any problems with her lungs at all. Yet when she requested her medical records it stated on one x-ray report she had scarring in her lower left lung and when she had another one done, that one stated she had Air Space Disease. The individual also has Asthma. Her doctors told her that she was fine so she never went back for a follow up. My concern is that they will wait until it's too late for her to get proper treatment. She's only 29 with two little kids.. Thanks for the info and I'm going to pass it on to her.
Vicki
strayze

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:21 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Your friend's doc sounds like my ex-internist, ex- because he did not ever report the ILD (interstitial lung disease) found in my post breastCA lung X-Rays for years, but rather like your friend's, my lungs were just fine. When I self-referred out, it was UIP-IPF. We folks who present to docs at the "wrong" age, uncommon symptoms, etc seem to be brushed under the rug, with the hopes it will all go away. Your friend would do well for herself just to get her lungs checked out at an academic center, or even the local pulmonologist. If it's an ILD she'll have to go to the academic place anyway so that's where to start IMHO.

Severe symptoms 12/99
Dyspnea since '73
ILD by CXRs since '85

View next topic
View previous topic