Huff n Puff Forums Forum Index Huff n Puff Forums
Support for people with interstitial lung disease
View next topic
View previous topic
Greta

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:18 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hello. I have a paralyzed diaphragm on the left side, emphysema, and gained over 100 pounds with meds in the last year. I don't see anything good coming of this situation. Once the Phrenic Nerve is severed (the diaphram) it cannot be repaired. So I'm left with one diseased lung. I get around very little and it's been 7 years since my diagnosis.

I just needed to vent a little, thanks for your time. Whatever you do, don't smoke (yule brenner), whatever you do, don't smoke dope (you dope).

Bless you all and breathe easy. Shocked

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

My daddy has just been diagnosed with a paralyzed diaphragm could you please tell me something about that? What causes it? Is it dangerous, can you ever get over it? Any information would be appreciated.Thanks so much.
Holly

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

I think the phrenic nerve can sometimes be severed when one has had to have their appendix removed due to appendicitis. I don't know that it always causes lung disease or not. My grandmother's nerve was severed from surgery. She's made it so far to the ripe old age of 93 without apparent lung problems, though one doc mentioned she might have some old, inactive fibrosis. I think that probably came from her days owning and running a hair salon.
Greta

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

In reply to your message the following is the information I gathered on the web (try searching "paralyzed diaphragm).
During any chest or neck surgery (not stomach), e.g. open heart surgery, gall bladder surgery, heart bypass, etd. the surgeon severs the phrenic nerve. (look up phrenic nerve on the web). The phrenic nerve is part of the diaphragm, the huge muscle in the chest which controls the lungs contractions, thus causing inhalation and exhalation. when this nerve is damaged, or severed in surgery, either on the right side or left side, it becomes irreparably paralyzed and effects the lung. My diaphragm, left side was paralyzed during ball bladder surgery, when they opened my entire chest. This left the left lung without the support of the muscle. The diaphragm separates the internal organs (within the rib cage, sort of), from the intestines, etc. Look up "Phrenic Nerve Damage" on the web...then look up "paralyzed diaphragm" it's all very interesting. By the way, the surgeon is not to be held up for ransome, it's just a by product of medical procedures intended to save lives. Thanks.

Greta Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Maybe permanently elevated diaphragm is what I was thinking of. Is this the same as paralyzed diaphragm? What ever it is, my grandmother has an abnormal diaphragm on one side. This was back in the 1930's or 40's when they would have done the surgery. Have no idea what approach they took to get in or whether or not they knew is was appendicitis when they were opening her up to begin with so don't know if hers is from this severed nerve thing or not. Just know a doc once said that it could've been caused by that.

Elevation of the Hemidiaphragm
o Causes
§ Subpulmonic effusion
· Dome is laterally displaced
· Straight edge of anterior “diaphragm” seen on lateral at major fissure
§ Decreased lung volume
· Atelectasis
§ Hypoplastic lung
· Small pulmonary artery, dextrocardia, scimitar vein
§ Poor inspiration
§ Phrenic Nerve Paralysis
· BrCa
· Mets
· Iatrogenic-post CABG
§ Idiopathic
§ Abdominal Disease
§ Subphrenic abscess
· Right=subhepatic-appendicitis
· Left 2° ulcer perforation
§ Liver mass
§ Interposition of the colon
§ Distended stomach
§ Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
§ Traumatic Rupture of the Diaphragm
§ Eventration of the Diaphragm
Greta

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

The "paralyzed diaphragm" is literally elevated on the paralyed side, you are correct. This is just info I unearthed recently. Actually, when I presented this condition, eveyone denied its existance. Thanks for your input.

In my case it is a detriment. With COPD I could use all the lung function I could muster, but this just adds to my already sad state of affairs.

Good luck to you, Greta

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

thanks so much for the information on this. I will go to the other web. sites that you gave me to. I really don't know alot about it myself . It is his right side that is paralyzed and his main complaint is he can't breath good at times some is worse than others. The Dr. has said if it goes to the left side to he will have to put in a pace maker in his lungs . Ever heard of this. He has had several surgerys that could have caused this like he had some surgery on his throat and neck but most recently on his gall bladder. How long does this take to happen after the surgery if they have done something to cause this? It has been almost a year since he had any surgery. That for all your help.
Greta

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Kailey:
The pacemaker surgery idea is still experimental as far as I know. Remember "Superman" Christoper Reeve? He is a quadraplegic, this means his muscles are shot. A paralyzed diapragm (elevated diaphragm) is not unusual after surgery. Be thankful that your loved one's doctor leveled with you about the paralyzed diapgragm. My dr. only told me that I'd be unable to work out and lose weight after the surgery. Never that the problem was the loss of the movement of my left side. Back to "superman"...he recently was on "Larry King" talk show with the news that he had an experimental surgery, the pacemaker, and he's hopeful that it will work. We will see how he makes out. Hopefully this will apply in your case. Keep me informed. Prayers, hugs, Greta

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

thank you so much Greta for all your help. You will be in my prayers.

View next topic
View previous topic