Huff n Puff Forums Forum Index Huff n Puff Forums
Support for people with interstitial lung disease
View next topic
View previous topic
Jim Lewis

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Just found you folks. I'll probably lurk for a good while, since I'm still learning about this affliction.

I was diagnosed with IPF a few months ago but with a complication of a staph infection on top of it. Just got off a 4-month course of antibiotics a few days ago and so far so good.

From what I read here (and elsewhere) I may not be a typical IPFer -- yet. I'm 70, or near enough (early September), but I'm far from incapacitated. I still walk more than 2 miles along the Pacolet River every morning, and do it in just less than 30 minutes. And while the first mile is tough, careful use of breathing exercises as I walk keeps me from any more huffing and puffing than I've always had (which always has been considerable from WAY back in my teens). I've also got a small (8 acre) horse farm to maintain.

For me, we suspect the "I" in IPF is (mostly) environmental. I spent many of my formative years in either sandy deserts (dust storms) or very polluted cities (Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.) Alas, I smoked for about 20 years, too. Sheer stupidity!

My major passions in life have been (and are) wife Jackie of 48 years, education -- especially environmental education -- and bonsai. I've been growing and designing tiny trees for more than 30 years now. I also collect Japanese (and to a limited extent, Chinese) art. We hope to go back to Hong Kong and Japan NEXT year for one last visit. I promise to hold my breath the entire time. Very Happy

As part of my bonsai addiction I am administrator of a bonsai website that uses this same (or very, very similar) software. If you want to relax with pictures of some beautiful trees, please visit www.internetbonsaiclub.org. Click on "Galleries" and enjoy.

I'll go back to lurking, reading, and learning.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Jim,
Welcome. I know that you will find a ton of useful info here.
Sorry you had to find us. Everyone here is wonderful and we have all become a famliy. If you have questions please post them. I am going to head over to your site now and check out those beautiful little trees.
Angelina

God Bless the donor & family & my Mom
eyejustam

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Welcome Jim: I hate that you had to find us at this place. But this is the place to be with this Monster. The best to you. John.

Susan:
Wife and caregiver

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unaware." Hebrews 13:2
Mrs. W

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Jim and welcome. I'm so glad you found us. Your walks sound terrific. And you seem to be in great shape, able to do alot.
That's a good thing Cool . As Martha would say.

I have always wanted to grow a bonsai tree. I finally got my first orchid this year, so next is the bonsai tree. Can I grow my own from a baby? We live in a huge forest and there are lots of tiny trees.
I can't wait to look at your website.
Again welcome.
Pam <><

Jim Lewis

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Mrs. W wrote:
Hi Jim and welcome. I'm so glad you found us. Your walks sound terrific. And you seem to be in great shape, able to do alot.
That's a good thing Cool . As Martha would say.

I have always wanted to grow a bonsai tree. I finally got my first orchid this year, so next is the bonsai tree. Can I grow my own from a baby? We live in a huge forest and there are lots of tiny trees.
I can't wait to look at your website.
Again welcome.
Pam <><

Thanks Angelina, John and Susan, and Pam. "Glad" to be here. Confused

Pam: There's lots of info on the Internet Bonsai Club website about starting a tree. Check out the galleries for inspiration, then the "Knowledge Base" for lots of basic how-to info.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Jim,

I hate this disease and I hate that you have it. But I am thrilled to see someone use a real name. Ha

Welcome
Deborah Hall

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Jim
I had a wonderful time exploring the bonsai sites. Thank you for sharing that. I cracked up when one of the guys was explaining that "when you have brought one in from the wild do not be in a hurry, let it rest for a YEAR!" Wow, the art of patience, it was never my forte'. Cool But I'm still so excited to try my hand at this living art form.
Pam <><

ansa

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Just wanted to say "hi & nice to meet you". You've found a great place for support. Even if you are just "lurking" around for a bit. Smile

VAT lung biopsy 9/05
NSIP-Mayo 9/06
?BOOP/COP? 11/06
Who really knows anymore?

View next topic
View previous topic